We have a small but very happy family. We love the beach, good food, travel, cuddling, movies, and we love each other. This is a blog about food, family, true love, and relationships! This is a blog about me and this blog is about the Webbs.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Lost Art of Etiquette

Etiquette... Etiquette has been a big deal in my life, my whole life. Since I could walk and talk, my mother and grandmother began teaching me how to behave "proper". Sadly its been something, as an adult, I've had to learn many people were not taught. Its been hard for me, growing up learning this or that is incredibly offensive or rude, in a world where so many people just don't know these "rules". Over time I realized I don't need to get offended I NEED to be proactive and try to help spread the knowledge!
  Etiquette is about putting others first and being aware of the effect your daily actions (no matter how slight) have on the people and world around you. It's about doing the right thing, being honest, and respectful. That's why I don't want this tradition to die. I teach my children, and I will continue to teach them. In my opinion practicing etiquette is one of the best gifts you can give to society!


So here's a little crash course of pointers I've compiled...

...It's really my top 5...

1. Say thank you and be appreciative of gifts. When you don't take the time to write a thank you note, or to thank someone kindly you take all the fun out of giving the gift. No one wants to give a gift to someone they deem unappreciative. So if nothing else, if you want to continue receiving, keep accepting in a gracious manner.

2. Don't ask financial questions. Period. Don't ask how much someones mortgage is, or how much their hair cut cost.. It's not your business and it's just plain inappropriate.

Side note: Nosiness in general is always a negative attribute.

3. Always offer to help after a dinner, it's just polite! If you are a guest in someones home, show them you appreciate the invite and the hard work they put into your dinner. They may not accept but they will remember your kindness!

Polite |pəˈlīt| adjective (politer, politest)
Having or showing behavior that is respectful and considerate of other people.

4. Canceling on a dinner.... just don't. Unless its an absolute emergency or if you cancel significantly in advance. But never don't show up on the day of. That shows immense disrespect to the host or hostess who has probably been preparing weeks in advance with you in mind, return the courtesy.

5. ....Continuing on being a gracious guest... Always eat the food, or try to eat the food. Don't complain about the menu choices. Again chances are your host/ hostess has gone through great lengths to prepare every aspect of the menu and it's not their job to further accommodate you except in case of an actual allergy (if they forgot to inquire in advance). If you must decline, eat what you can and then say you are full. But don't say you aren't hungry, because you shouldn't arrive at a dinner without being prepared to eat.

  These 5 are just some food for thought. If you find that you are frequent offender, with any of these, you may want to seek further education on the subject or feel free to ask me!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Tight Knit Webbs, AllRightsReserved.