We have a small but very happy family. We love the beach, good food, travel, cuddling, movies, and we love each other. This is a blog about food, family, true love, and relationships! This is a blog about me and this blog is about the Webbs.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Mad Hatter Hat

So last Halloween I knew I wanted Caden and Brayten to be the Mad Hatter and Alice in Wonderland. My biggest obstacle was finding a top hat that was actually Mad Hatter-esque the way I wanted. I searched high and low for weeks without finding anything that worked so I decided I'd craft one!

Here's how I did it:


I started with a foam hat like this..

I picked it up from the local Hobby Lobby, I can't remember how much I paid but it was under $5.

So the first thing I did was carefully cut the brim, and the very top off.
Save the brim but go ahead and toss the top piece you removed. You should be left with a column and a brim. From there I inverted the column (and reattached it with tape) to give it that dramatic Hatter look.. like this.. and then used a piece of sheet foam for the new top of the hat.
There's a little extra on the brim you need to trim off (length wise). Next I bought some cheap acrylic paint in the shade of green I wanted and painted the whole thing (about two coats). Last. I added a ribbon, and a piece of card stock that I wrote 10/6 on, and added a piece of elastic to hold it to bubbas head because it was too small (the hat that is). lol 
Here's the outfit before it was finished...
..and here's the end result! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

© Tight Knit Webbs, AllRightsReserved.